It’s not uncommon for people struggling with an addiction to have underlying mental health disorders. Many people with anxiety disorder have no idea that the problem exists. They may turn to drugs and alcohol as a way of self-medicating the symptoms of anxiety. That’s why programs for substance use disorders should provide treatment for anxiety or other mental health issues. Springfield Wellness Center helps individuals with an anxiety disorder in Louisiana with our innovative NAD+ treatment options. For more information about our services, please contact Springfield Wellness Center today at 844.334.4727.
What Is an Anxiety Disorder?
Anxiety is a common reaction people have to stressful situations or letting us know about potential dangers. However, an anxiety disorder is different. The term covers a wide array of mental health issues that persist even after a person isn’t facing an immediate threat.
Most anxiety disorders cause people to feel excessive fear even in non-threatening situations. They may have an overreaction to the idea of facing certain social situations or even just going to the store. The idea of dealing with problems most people might consider normal can produce feelings of constant tension and fear.
Common anxiety disorders include:
- Social anxiety disorder: People diagnosed with anxiety disorder experience fear at the idea of various social interactions. It goes beyond general nervousness to the point where a person feels embarrassment and panic at the thought of doing or saying the wrong thing and embarrassing themselves.
- Agoraphobia: Individuals with agoraphobia fear the idea of going into public places like a mall or bookstore. It may start as hesitation to go outside, then progress to a reluctance to leave the house for any reason. Severe agoraphobia can lead to a person going for long periods without leaving home.
- Panic disorder: Panic disorder causes individuals to experience sudden feelings of panic and anxiety, called panic attacks. Physical symptoms of panic attacks can include a rapid heartbeat, problems breathing, or chest pains. They are often mistaken as the onset of a heart attack.
If you have an anxiety disorder, finding treatment options is crucial.
How Can I Recognize If I Have an Anxiety Disorder?
Early signs of anxiety disorder may be mistaken for other illnesses. People with thyroid disorders can exhibit some of the same symptoms. Many individuals feel that early anxiety symptoms are typical and don’t realize they may be a sign of a more serious issue. Signs of anxiety disorders can include:
- Constant feelings of weakness and exhaustion
- Problems sleeping
- Inability to concentrate
- Feeling like there’s always a threat present
- Rapid heart rate
- Not wanting to attend social functions
Many people start using drugs and alcohol to dull the symptoms of anxiety disorder. Substance abuse often ends up making them worse and can lead to an addiction.
Get Treatment at Springfield Wellness Center
Anxiety disorders are common among people living in the U.S. While early signs of anxiety disorder differ from person to person, you can make the symptoms better by seeking help for your mental health in Louisiana.
Springfield Wellness Center believes in treating all aspects of a client’s well-being. When people come to us for help, we give them a complete physical and mental evaluation that includes checking for possible mental health issues.
Our goal is to make sure that clients receive the help they need to find relief from the symptoms of anxiety disorder and any related substance abuse issues, including: