This recipe has been adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything.
- 24 oz. white button mushrooms
- 1/3 lb. hot pork sausage
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. Cajun seasoning (Zatarain’s)
- Green onions or parsley to garnish (optional)
- Wash mushrooms in cold water. Pop out stems, reserving both parts.
- Chop mushroom stems finely and set them aside.
- Brown and crumble sausage. Set aside on a plate to cool. Drain most of the oil from the pan, leaving a small amount to cook the remaining ingredients.
- Add onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Add in chopped mushrooms stems, stir to cook for 2 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and stir well. Set mixture aside on a plate to cool.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and cheddar cheese. Add cooled sausage and cooled mushroom stems. Stir mixture together and refrigerate for a short time to firm up.
- Fill the cavity of each mushroom with mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for at least ten minutes before serving; the stuffed mushrooms taste better when not piping hot. Garnish with green onions or fresh parsley if desired.