Stress is something we all experience. Thus, we all need stress management techniques so we can make it through difficult times. If you’re an individual struggling with anxiety or depression, stress can be crippling. Often, individuals overwhelmed with stress make harmful decisions. Springfield Wellness Center believes in fostering positive mental health. One way to do this is by managing the stress in your life.
Stress Management Techniques
Harvard Medical School recommends using six stress management techniques. An individual can use all these techniques or just select the one which works best for them. However, trying out each to find which one works the most effective to deal with the stress you’re facing is a good idea. But once you settle on a particular technique, practice it for at least 20 minutes a day. But if you aren’t able to get the full 20 minutes in, feel free to do how much much you can. What is important is getting into the habit of using stress management techniques to prevent being overwhelmed by anxiety. The six techniques include:
- Breath focus: Take long, slow, deep breaths, and as you do, gently disengage your mind from distractions. This is especially helpful for those dealing with eating disorders because it allows them to focus on their body positively.
- Body scan: Blends breath focus with progressive muscle relaxation. After beginning deep breathing, you then focus on a body party or group of muscles mentally releasing the physical tension there.
- Guided imagery: Using soothing images or memories of places or experiences, you focus and relax. Many use free apps and online recordings to aid in this technique.
- Mindfulness meditation: This form of meditation is meant to focus your mind on the present moment and avoid past or future concerns. Often, it helps individuals dealing with anxiety, depression, and pain.
- Yoga, tai chi, and qigong: These combine attentive breathing with flowing movements. Often, these have the effect of enhancing your flexibility and balance.
- Repetitive prayer: Silently repeating a short prayer or phrase. Often, people call this a mantra.
Other Ways to Improve Mental Health
Aside from the stress management techniques listed above, there are other ways to improve your mental health. One way is to exercise regularly. Often lifestyle changes need to be made to overcome stress or build resistance to it. For instance, some changes to make or make sure you’re doing include:
- Eating healthy
- Reducing or eliminating caffeine and sugar from your diet
- Refusing drugs and avoiding alcohol and tobacco products
- Getting adequate sleep
These aren’t complicated recommendations, but they can be difficult to fulfill. However, if you do get the habit of using these stress management techniques, it can help you.
Springfield Wellness Center
Learning how to best handle your stress by developing stress management techniques is one way to care for your mental health. The experts at Springfield Wellness Center are committed to getting you or your loved one the mental health treatment needed. We treat conditions such as chemical dependency, PTSD, chronic stress, depression and anxiety, and other issues. Learn more about our treatment options today by calling 844.334.4727.