Stress is something we all experience. Thus, we all need stress management techniques to endure difficult times. If you’re an individual struggling with anxiety or depression, stress can be crippling. Often, individuals overwhelmed with stress make harmful decisions. Springfield Wellness Center believes in fostering positive mental health. One way to do this is by managing the stress in your life. Call 844.334.4727 to speak with someone from the caring and compassionate staff at Springfield Wellness Center about our chronic stress disorder treatment in Louisiana.
What Is Stress Management?
Stress management uses stress-reduction techniques to maintain mental and physical health. It can be used in many different situations, including work stress and stress due to relationship issues. Stress management involves activities that help you relax and reduce the stress in your life. Stress management techniques include the following:
- Breath focus – Take long, slow, deep breaths, and as you do, gently disengage your mind from distractions. This is especially helpful for those dealing with eating disorders because it allows them to focus on their body positively.
- Body scan – Blends breath focus with progressive muscle relaxation. After beginning deep breathing, you then focus on a body party or group of muscles, mentally releasing the physical tension there.
- Guided imagery – You focus and relax by using soothing images or memories of places or experiences. Many use free apps and online recordings to aid in this technique.
- Mindfulness meditation – This form of meditation is meant to focus your mind on the present moment and avoid past or future concerns. Often, it helps individuals dealing with anxiety, depression, and pain.
- Yoga, tai chi, and qigong – These combine attentive breathing with flowing movements. Often, these have the effect of enhancing your flexibility and balance.
- Repetitive prayer – Silently repeating a short prayer or phrase. Often, people call this a mantra.
Individuals can use several stress management techniques or select the one that works best for them. However, trying out each to find the most effective way to deal with the stress you’re facing is a good idea. But once you settle on a particular technique, practice it for at least 20 minutes daily. What is important is getting into the habit of using stress management techniques to prevent being overwhelmed by anxiety.
Other Ways to Improve Mental Health
Aside from the stress management techniques listed above, there are other ways to improve your mental health. Often lifestyle changes need to be made to overcome stress or build resistance to it. For instance, some changes to make include the following:
- Eating healthy
- Exercising regularly
- Reducing or eliminating caffeine and sugar from your diet
- Refusing drugs and avoiding alcohol and tobacco products
- Getting adequate sleep
- Making time for leisure activities and hobbies
- Maintaining strong relationships
These aren’t complicated recommendations, but they can be challenging to fulfill. However, if you do get into the habit of using these stress management techniques, it can help you. Following a stress management program and making lifestyle changes can positively affect your overall stress levels. Springfield Wellness Center is dedicated to helping individuals reach their goals in stress management.
Manage Your Stress in Louisiana with the Help of Springfield Wellness Center
Learning how to best handle your stress by developing stress management techniques is one way to care for your mental health. The experts at Springfield Wellness Center are committed to getting you or your loved one the mental health treatment needed. We treat conditions such as chemical dependency, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), chronic stress, depression, anxiety, and other issues. Contact Springfield Wellness Center today at 844.334.4727 to learn more about our chronic stress treatment options.