Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a physical and mental disorder that causes you to experience extreme fatigue. If you believe that you or a loved one may be struggling with CFS, call 844.334.4727 to speak with someone from our experienced team at Springfield Wellness Center about our treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome in Springfield, LA.
What Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Chronic fatigue syndrome is a complex disorder characterized by persistent and unexplained fatigue. It has been recognized as an illness since the mid-1980s, although it is thought to have existed for much longer than that. CFS can affect people of all ages, genders, and backgrounds and its cause remains unknown. Treatment options are available, but there is no cure for chronic fatigue syndrome yet.
What separates chronic fatigue syndrome from other types of disorders is that it is difficult to pinpoint why you may have it. There is no underlying medical condition that defines chronic fatigue. Rather, it is a collection of symptoms ranging from mild to severe. The most common symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome is extreme fatigue or exhaustion. This type of fatigue isn’t relieved with rest or sleep and can last for days, weeks, or months at a time.
The cause of chronic fatigue is still relatively unknown. Some specialists pinpoint the source of your fatigue as a viral infection or stress. Some experts also claim that you could be suffering from a combination of external and internal conditions. Regardless of how much you rest, if you struggle with CFS, you may still feel tired all the time.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Symptoms
Some symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome are obvious—you want to lie down or sleep all the time. There may also be other symptoms, such as:
- Loss of memory or your inability to stay focused
- Your throat feels sore all the time
- Enlarged lymph nodes in your armpit or neck area
- Your muscles or joints are in constant pain
- You have ongoing headaches
- You sleep a lot, but you never feel refreshed
While many of these symptoms do not necessarily mean you have chronic fatigue, a combination of symptoms may indicate this condition. The best way to determine if you have CFS is to see your doctor.
Possible Causes of CFS
Some of the leading causes of chronic fatigue may include:
- Viral infections – There is a known link between viruses and fatigue. If you have viruses such as the Epstein-Barr virus, you may always feel tired. Consult your doctor to find out more about viral-based chronic fatigue.
- Drug or alcohol addiction – Long-term use of drugs or alcohol can make you feel worn out. You may not be motivated to get out of bed in the morning. Both illicit drugs and prescription can have the same effect if you keep using them.
- Stress, anxiety, or depression – Few things can kill your energy or your mood more than feeling depressed all the time. Anxiety can put a lot of stress on your body and wear you out quickly. Therefore, if you struggle with depression, it may cause you to want to go to bed and not get up.
Much research still has to be done to identify the causes of CFS. If you are hypersensitive to exercise or physical activity, it may be a chronic fatigue syndrome symptom.
Find Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment in Louisiana at Springfield Wellness Center
If you always feel tired, you can visit a chronic fatigue syndrome treatment center. A treatment specialist can diagnose your condition and devise a plan to help you regain energy and health.
To learn more about chronic fatigue treatment options, contact Springfield Wellness Center today at 844.334.4727. We offer various treatment plans to help you with mental health disorders and addiction.